The building in 2008
This building is thought to have got its name from a William Gryge who lived in Godalming in the reign of Richard II. It may be that the building was associated with him and got its name that way. Certainly, it had acquired the name of Griggs by 1598.
The first floor braces on the facade are bent like an elongated 'S' (=ogee braces). This style was in fashion in this area between about 1540 and 1590. So the building probably dates from that period.
To see this building as it was in 1961, click here. You can also tour the High Street as it was in 1961 from this link.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
High Street in the 1901.
The large building on the right is the White Hart building (early 17th century) and on the extreme right is Griggs (late 16th century - note: the tops of the ogee beams that are now exposed were painted over at this time and the rest of them was hidden behind the top of the shop front)