Boots the Chemist traded here from about 1939. Before then S Edwards and Son ran a chemists shop from 1891 until at least 1924.
By this time, there are now only two windows under the gable on the first building.
The brickwork is Dutch inspired, and local Bargate stone has been used with red handmade facing bricks. A lead box gutter runs the full length of the building; a dentil course forms the projection over the shop front, this being roof tiled over. Bricks have been specially moulded, and notice the unusual scalloped pelmets over the first floor windows.