previous

HIGH STREET

next

 

Godalming Museum, ref: 3093

 Sheep in the High Street in 1901

 

The white building on the left hand side of the street is the Angel Hotel, which was demolished partly in the 1930s and the remainder in the 1950s. It is now remembered in the name of Angel Court

The large building on the right is the White Hart building (early 17th century) and on the extreme right is Griggs (late 16th century - note: the tops of the ogee beams that are now exposed were painted over at this time and the rest of them was hidden behind the top of the shop front)

The street is paved with granite setts, which were removed in about 1911 and some of which were used to pave the Phillips Memorial Cloister in 1914


 

Return to High Street picture index