General view in 2008. The frieze windows on the first floor are a particular feature
A postcard shown below gives a date for the current building of 1640. There is no specific evidence for this date, but it looks feasible in view of the general structure.
A public house named The Antelope is mentioned on this site in 1574.
The inn was built by Edward, 1st Viscount Wimbledon (1572-1638) an English military man, naval commander and politician. He was Lord Lieutenant of Surrey 1627-1638 and Governor of Portsmouth 1630-1638.
By the mid-17th century the name had changed to The White Hart, and it remained that until its closure in 1932.
To see this building as it was in 1961, click here. You can also tour the High Street as it was in 1961 from this link.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
Image: Godalming Corporation 1937 Album p34e
The White Hart building and Griggs (97-103 and 105 High Street) in the 1930s
image: Old Cottage and Domestic architecture in South-West Surrey p74
Nos 97-103 and 105 High Street in the 1880s
image: Godalming Museum, ref B980.794
This sketch from 1818 shows the Pepperpot soon after its construction
On the left is The White Hart Inn (nos 97-103 High Street)
The building on the extreme right was destroyed by fire in 1879