previous

GENERAL IMAGES

next

 

Godalming in 1779
Godalming Museum, ref: B000.14.6.13

 

Behind the parish church is the wall and one of the forts of the defences of Westbrook Place. These were built to protect General James Oglethorpe's Jacobite sisters whilst he was setting up a settlement in North America.

On the left is an artist's impression of the planned bridge over the Wey, built 1782.

 

 

Return to General images indexor Godalming Old Bridge or Godalming Parish Church or The Meath or The Town Bridge or Godalming Parish Church before 1878