This engraving dates from the 1840s
Image: see below

 

The engraving shows the Boarden Bridge and the Parish Church before the railway and before Charterhouse and the need for the Borough Bridge, It shows the Parish Church after the changes of 18401/41, when the north aisle was enlarged and its dormer windows were removed and the walls of the church were covered in stucco. The stucco was removed in the 1870s.

A house and out-buildings can be seen on the left, on the site now occupied by The Phillips Memorial Cloister.

This engraving was first published in A Topographical History of Surrey by Edward Wedlake Brayley, in 1850

 

 

Return to Boarden Bridge or Godalming Parish Church before 1878