The British School had been founded in Harts Yard in the High Street on 17 December 1812.The original building on this site was built in 1813. and it was remodeled and enlarged in 1872.
British Schools were non-conformist and were set up under the educational principles of Dr Lancaster. Although these principles had been derived from those of Dr Bell's National (Church of England) Schools, the British School was set up in direct competition to the Bell School in The Mint.
The building is now used as an infant school.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
image: Godalming Council, 1937 album, p4A
The Causeway in 1936
This shows the British School building (then an infant school), the Police Station and the Godalming United Church (at that time, the Methodist Church and later the United Reformed Church)
image: Godalming Museum, ref 903.2
The British School as it was when reopened in 1872
image: Godalming Museum, ref 88-14T
This is an artist's impression of the original British School.
This sketch was prepared in the late 19th century/early 20th century and was therefore likely to be based on living memories of the arrangements prior to the rebuilding in 1872