The remains of Catteshall Mill in 2009
This was almost certainly one of the three Godalming mills that are mentioned in the Domesday Book. Over the years it had been used for corn milling, fulling, leather dressing and paper making. (source: Water Mills)
Herbert Spicer had been producing paper here from about 1870 and the Catteshall Company produced its own gas in a gas-house and had an advanced electric light system.
In 1873, a French designed Fourneyron water turbine, manufactured by Macadam Bros. of Belfast, was in operation, bought specifically to make paper by machine. It was removed in 1981 to Westbrook Mill, under the care of Godalming Water Turbine Trust. The oldest and largest surviving turbine of its kind it was sent to the Ironbridge Museum in Shropshire in 2004.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
Return to Mills