Church House in 2008
This house sports the date 1086 over its door, but the building is not that old. It is, however, older than would appear from its façade. Parts are 15th century, with alterations made in the late 16th and 17th centuries: the ornate bargeboards were renewed in the early 19th century. The date over the door is there because the Domesday Book was prepared in 1086 and it mentions that Ranulf Flambard held the church and land here, which subsequently became the Deanery, or Rectory, Manor. This building and previous buildings on this site have been the principal buildings in this manor.
Inside, there is a fine staircase, constructed of elm with newels, handrails and balasters. One of the newels has a carving of two pears, recalling the symbol used for the first warden of the town, John Perrior (a pun on his name as a 'Perrior' was someone who lived by the pear trees - source English Surnames by Reaney & Wilson). The panelling in some of the rooms dates from the 17th century and there are several Adam style fireplaces
Source: Church House leaflet
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
Return to Timber-Framed-Buildings