image: Godalming Borough Council's Coronation Album, 1937, p4B (detail)
This is the site of the original station in Godalming. It was built 1849 but fell out of use when the Portsmouth line was extended in 1859. It became a goods yard and closed in 1969. It was then redeveloped as a builders' merchant's.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
Godalming Museum, ref 542
This photograph shows the preparation for the Duchess of Albany's arrival at Godalming Old Station in 1892. She came to open The Meath (initially called 'The Meath Home of Comfort for Epileptics')