Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
In 1859 the east window tracery was changed from the Perpendicular Style to the Decorated Style
The church was remodeled in 1840 to increase the seating capacity:
-The nave was extended west and the west door moved to the east wall of the Lady Chapel
- A new main entrance was made in the south wall
- The ceiling panelling of the nave was changed to its present shape
- The aisles were raised, the north aisle given a ridge roof and the aisles were given Perpendicular windows in their outer walls
- The north chapel was widened and remodelled as a vestry; its lean-to roof was changed to a ridge and it was given an east window similar to that in the south aisle and a square-headed window in the north wall
- The belfry floor was put in and galleries were put into the transepts.
- The exterior was covered in stucco
|The church was much altered in 1839/40. "Scaffolding reached to the top of the spire for its repair and placing on again the Weather Cock which had been blown down many years before. On the top of the scaffolding a workman by name of Furlonger daringly stood on his head in order to show his bravado."
Source: Charles Softley
In the 17th and 18th centuries, wooden galleries were added in the west end and in the side aisles. The side walls of the north and south aisles were raised to accommodate these.
Two dormer windows were added in the north aisle and two round headed windows set in the upper part of the south wall of the south aisle. These provided light for those in the galleries
Also, two small square windows were inserted either side of the west door to provide light that had been cut off by the new galleries.
In the 15th & 16th centuries, the transepts were given perpendicular windows.
During the same period, the nave was extended westwards and the roof panelling with bosses was added
In the early 14th century, the chancel was extended eastwards. The roof was raised and remodelled with crown posts The diagonal buttresses on the corners date from this time.
The tower was raised again and a parapet introduced. The spire was narrowed and heightened, and clad in lead
In about the middle of the 12th century, the north an south walls of the base of the tower were pierced and the north and south transepts were added. The present pointed arches are possibly a later reworking of original Norman arches.
The south transept appears to have been a side chapel
In the late 11th century, a low tower was built over the old chancel, the old east wall was pierced and a new chancel built to the east of the tower.
The earliest parts of the present building date from the late 10th/early 11th centuries. As far as can be detected, it was approximately 15.5 metres long, with a 8m high nave. The chancel was set at a slight angle northwards, an allusion to the head of Christ on the Cross