The History of Godalming Parish Church from 1878

 

 

HISTORICAL IMAGES

for enlargements, click images

 


 

 

 

The Octagon was added in 1970

 



image: Godalming Museum, ref 1196.16 
 

 

 

Godalming 1950.

The Parish Church from Phillips' Memorial Ground, Bury Fields, with the Phillips Memorial on the right

 



image: Godalming Museum, ref 1196.17 
 

 

 

Godalming 1950. Parish Church from N.E.

Laying out the bowling green in the foreground

 



The east window in the chancel
 

 

 

In 1906-15, the tracery on the east window was changed to its current form, but the 19th century glass was retained.

 



The Nave looking east
 

 

 

In 1906-15, decorative elements on the arch between the nave & crossing were removed

 



North chapel window
 

 

 

In 1878-81, there was a major restoration under Sir Gilbert Scott. At this time:

- The Saxon arch between the Nave and crossing below the tower was removed and the present higher, pointed arch inserted

- The Saxon arch between the crossing and the chancel was raised by 1.3 m. These two changes gave the congregation a better view of the altar

- The aisles were widened and extended one bay westwards and the late Gothic west windows in the aisles were moved to the north wall of the north chapel

 


 
The west window of the nave
 

 

 

- The west end of the nave and aisles were given Decorated style windows

- The north transept was extended northwards

- The turret containing the stair to the tower was constructed

- The stucco on the exterior was removed


 

 Return to Godalming Parish Church or The History of Godalming Parish Church before 1878