Looking towards Guildford

 

High Street was part of the main road from London to Portsmouth. It has therefore seen many a sailor riding up to London with his pay and walking back without it. It had five coaching inns - the Red Lion, the White Hart, the Angel, the Great George and the Kings Arms - and many, many alehouses to trap the thirsty traveller.

Until the mid-19th century, there were stalls in the area of the Pepperpot on market days. It must have been very congested.

 


HISTORICAL IMAGES

For enlargements, click images



THE BRIDGE STREET END OF HIGH STREET


 

High Street decorated for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897

 

Photograph by G West: Godalming Museum, ref 3066

 

Looking from the Bridge Street end in about 1890

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum, ref 2238

 

A 19th century view of High Street

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum, ref Woods H2 p59

THE PEPPERPOT END OF HIGH STREET


 

Godalming 1950. High Street looking west

A policeman on duty to avoid the delivery lorry causing a problem - but where's the traffic?

 
Godalming Museum, ref 1196.3

 

The High Street in 1901

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum, ref 3093

 

The earliest known photograph of High Street, taken by H C Malden in 1854.

The two elaborate brick and stone facades on the left show the Dutch influence after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum: ref 2493

 

High Street in about 1900.

The elaborate brick and stone facade is numbers 74 & 76 High Street. It dates from 1663 and shows the Dutch influence after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660. In the 1840s the second floor attic rooms were extended forward, the four gables were pierced, the top of the facade was levelled off and dot and octagon windows added on all three floors .

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum: ref 1817

BEYOND THE PEPPERPOT


 

This shows nos 117-135 High Street

 

Photograph: Godalming Museum, ref Woods H3 p271

 

To see images of the High Street in 1961 click here for north (Pepperpot) side and south (Museum) side

 

 

Return to Images page