Philip Cawthorne Fletcher was educated at Rugby School and University College, Oxford. After teaching for a term each at Rugby, Marlborough and Winchester he went to Charterhouse in 1908. He married in 1911 and had a happy family life for nearly fifty years.
On the outbreak of war in 1914 he joined the 42nd East Lancashire Regiment and served in Egypt and Gallipoli, and afterwards in France as Divisional Signals Officer, and became a Major. He was awarded the Military Cross. On his return to Charterhouse he took over the signals section of the O.T.C. During Second World War he was A.R.P. Sub-Controller for Godalming
He was Mayor of Godalming three times in 1924, 1930 and 1936. In 1936 the Mayoress was the first to wear the gold chain presented by Charterhouse, and during this third period he read the ‘Instrument of Abdication’ of King Edward V111. The Godalming Town Council have in their memorabilia a Mace, the gift of Charterhouse which was presented by the First Earl of Midleton, Robert Birley, headmaster in that year of the Coronation of Sovereign King George V1 on 12 May 1937, and Alderman P.C. Fletcher, Mayor. In 1936 Fletcher presented to the town, Farncombe Cricket Club, which was formally opened by his Oxford friend, Clement Attlee. He had been active in restarting Godalming Cricket Club and was for many years President of Farncombe Cricket Club. In 1937 a silver key was presented by Godalming Borough Council to Major Philip C Fletcher to mark the opening of the Broadwater Cricket Ground, and which Godalming Town Council have in their memorabilia
For many years he took leading tenor parts in the Godalming Operatic Society's productions of Gilbert and Sullivan.
He retired from Charterhouse in the summer of 1945, and latterly spent many years renovating Hinton Priory near Bath, which he had bought in 1932, ‘Locus Dei’, and the second oldest Carthusian foundation in the country. This scholarly archaeological achievement earned him a Fellowship of the Society of Antiquaries.
In 2010 the Rev. Colin Fletcher, Bishop of Dorchester, a grandson of Philip Cawthorne Fletcher, opened and dedicated ‘Fletcherites’ a new day house for sixth form boys and girls, to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Charterhouse in 2011. The house was named after Sir Frank Fletcher, headmaster of Charterhouse, who was a cousin of Philip Cawthorne Fletcher.