The Angel Hotel in about 1870
Angel Court is a reminder of the Angel Hotel that once stood on this site, fronting onto the High Street
It occupied the frontage of Angel Court and no 96 (Arthouse Unlimited)
The hotel frontage (see above) was demolished in the 1930s and Angel Court created. Part of the remaining hotel buildings on the left were later reinstated as ‘The Angel Hotel’. The old function room remained at the far end of Angel Court and it was here that meetings of the Gin Mill Club were held: This opened on the 14th January 1969 and continued until the early 1970s, and it was here that Duster Bennett, the British blues singer and musician recorded his album, Bright Lights, Big City live on the 17th April 1969 .
The Inn was originally known as The Anchor and the earliest reference to it dates from 1554/55. It became the Angel in the early 18th century. It was demolished in 1934. (Source: Godalming and Farncombe Pubs & Breweries by John Janaway)
It was a coaching inn - there was a coaching entrance through the archway between nos 8 and 10 Church Street (Source: Jean Raper)
It was the largest coaching inn in the town (Source: Betteridge/Dedman)
In 1876, the hotel was host to two Indian Elephants that were on their way to Regents Park Zoo and were too large to be transported by train. They were part of the Prince of Wales's menagerie and were named Salar and Jung (Source: Godalming Museum, ref )
To see this building as it was in 1961, click here. You can also tour the High Street as it was in 1961 from this link.