Buildings on this site have served various official functions:
- Hundred House, when this was the centre of administration for an area from Puttenham and Artington in the north to Haslemere and Chiddingfold in the south. The last hundred court was held in the 19th century.
- Market House, when there was a weekly market in the broadened part of the High Street
- Town Hall, before the town council moved to its present location in Bridge Street in 1907
The present building was erected by public subscription in 1814, when the previous Market House fell into disrepair
At one point, there was a "cage" under the stairs of the Markethouse that was capable of securing one person or prisoner.
Source: Charles Softley
A plaque located on the ground floor of the Pepperpot reads:
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE WORLD'S FIRST PUBLIC ELECTRICITY SUPPLY ON 26TH SEPTEMBER 1881.
NEAR THIS SPOT WAS INSTALLED THE FIRST ELECTRIC LAMP TO LIGHT THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY UNDER THIS PIONEERING DEVELOPMENT.
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED ON THE CENTENARY OF THIS EVENT BY JOHN WEDGWOOD CHAIRMAN OF THE SOUTHERN ELECTRICITY BOARD
Since 1907, it has had various uses:
-In the early 20th century the lower part of the Pepperpot was walled in and used as a public convenience
-The lower part has also been a shop and the upper room has housed the museum
-Now the upper part is a function room and the lower section is a meeting place and location for market stalls
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
image: Godalming Museum, ref B007.73.4
This scene dates from just before the First World War
image: Godalming Museum, ref B989.12
This shows the arch celebrating Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887
image: Godalming in Old Picture Postcards, vol 1, no 1
A print celebrating the introduction of electric street lighting in 1881
image: Godalming Museum, ref 2506
This is a view of the western end of the High Street, looking east.
The street is paved with granite setts. With the growth of wheeled traffic with metal rims to the wheels, these setts were found to be very noisy and they were taken up in 1913
image: Godalming Museum, ref B980.794
This from 1818 shows the Pepperpot soon after its construction
On the left is The White Hart Inn (nos 97-103 High Street)
The building on the extreme right was destroyed by fire in 1879
image: Godalming Museum, ref B000.63.1.37
This a view of the previous Market House
In 1761 French prisoners from Belle Isle Expedition in the Seven Years' War (1756-1763) were held in this Market House