The Red Lion's facade is Georgian but the structure behind is older. It is thought to have been the home of John Perrior, the town's 'warden' in 1574, when Godalming received its first charter.
Oddfellows and Godalming Town plaques on the extension
The extension was built as an Oddfellows' Hall in the 1830s. After about five years they merged with Guildford (according to the landlord) and it was subsequently used as a courtroom and for the town's first grammar school from 1885 to 1913; this school was attended by Jack Phillips, Chief Wireless Telegraphist on the Titanic when it sank on its maiden voyage in 1912. It was then used as a public hall until the 1940s, when it was incorporated into the pub.
Going back in time
For enlargements, click images
Return to Coaching Inns