First World War - Witley Camps Postcards

 

In January 1915, orders were issued for the setting up of a camp on Witley Common for training British and Canadian soldiers before they were sent to France. The camp was also used as a extension of British military facilities in Aldershot. The camp straddled the Portsmouth and Haslemere roads, extending from Mousel and Milford, to Witley Park and Bowlhead Green. The camp had its own entertainments including shops and entertainments. Part of Milford Common was used as a baseball pitch for the troops and one of baseball's most famous players, Babe Ruth, played there. One group of billets, stables and lock-up shops became known as Tin Town. After the armistice, it was used as a demobilisation camp. Between 30,000 and 50,000 troops passed through the camp during the time it operated between 1916 and 1918

Source: National Trust, Witley Centre

A more detailed account of the camp was given in an exhibition called Witley Camp in World War I. This was created by John Janaway and can be seen on the PC screens in the museum.



image: Godalming in Old Picture Postcards, vol 4, no. 52

This gives a view from across the Haslemere Road



image: Godalming Museum, ref B995.53.3

This shows the wagon park



A postcard home from Witley Camp



Postcards: Godalming Museum, ref B986.2

This is a collection of postcards, with several from Witley Camp. The collection was made by L/Col W Blackburn of the 6th Battalion, Manchester Regiment



image: Godalming in Old Picture Postcards, vol 4, no. 53

Tin Town included a row of temporary shops along Portsmouth Road



image: Godalming in Old Picture Postcards, vol 4, no. 54

Special cards were printed for the Canadians to send home. This is the inside of a Christmas card for 1918



image: Godalming Museum, ref B984.98.5

Tempers frayed when the return of the Canadian soldiers was delayed.

The Garrison Theatre at Witley Camp after being set on fire during the riots of June 1919



When the Canadian soldiers left, they donated one of the huts to Witley as a 'Women's Hut'

It was later used by the Brownies and Girl Guides.

Source: Witley & Milford History



 

Return